As Earth Churns…20. Rainbow Bridge


“Jesus, you know how much pleasure you derived from designing and creating all the animals?” God asked.

“I do!” he replied exuberantly. “That’s been one of the neatest things I’ve done – except for designing and creating man, of course.”

“Of course,” the Father went on with a chuckle. “You remember my telling you that while most of those creatures would be for food or to help man work, that some of the animals would become special companions for mankind?”

“Yes, Father, I remember,” Jesus responded eagerly. “In particular dogs and cats; isn’t that why we made so many varieties of those two critters?”

“That’s right, Son,” God intervened quickly. “Man is of many personalities and deference’s, needing a wide variety of pets, as they will call their canine and feline friends, to add to their happiness. That brings me to your task. I want you to design a place in heaven for those special pets. It should be outside our boundaries, beyond the Pearly Gates; you will create a place to which mankind’s pets will go when they die on Earth. It will be sort of like the good portion of Hades. It will be a place of waiting.”

“I get it, Dad!” Jesus anticipated. “Then when the person who loved the pet dies – before going to Hades to wait for my second coming – that man or woman will go first to this pet haven and be reunited with the pet. The two will then go together to Hades to pass the time together. Is that right?”

“That’s about it, Son,” God concluded. “Think you will enjoy this assignment?”

“Are you kidding?” Jesus’ enthusiasm overflowed. “I’ll design an amazing place for dogs and cats where they can run and play together with each other until their reunions with their masters.” He paused in thought, then continued, “Father, what about all the loyal animal companions whose owners don’t make it to heaven when they die?”

“You mean pets of those who spend the waiting time in the bad part of Hades and then go on to hell,” God read his Son’s mind.

“Yes, Father,” Jesus proposed, “do you think those animals could simply stay at Rainbow Bridge for eternity, frolicking with their peers?”

“I suppose so, Son. Why not give that some more thought while you are creating the place? Rainbow Bridge, is that what you called it just then?” God asked.

“That’s right, Father,” Jesus answered. “I remembered our discussing the rainbow as a natural and beautiful phenomenon that would also symbolize a promise of better times to come. So I thought that would be an apt name for the place animals would wait to be reunited with their owners.”

“Sounds like a plan, Son. Anything else on your mind just now?” God inquired.

“No, I’m eager to get started on Rainbow Bridge. There are dogs and cats on Earth that will probably need this place very soon now,” Jesus added.

“I’m sure you’re right, Son,” the Father agreed, “so you’d better get started without delay. Keep me posted.”

“I will, Dad,” Jesus nearly jumped off his throne and started toward the front door of the Palace. His destination obviously was the Pearly Gates and beyond. “See you soon.”

“Good-bye, Jesus,” God called after Him. Then as an afterthought, he added, “That boy is such a joy. I almost can’t bear to think of what he must suffer at the hands of evil mankind and Lucifer. Perhaps I should have let bygones be bygones and never created Earth and man in the first place. Well, that’s all water under the bridge now. We’ll just wait and see what happens. Perhaps man will turn out better than I expect. Maybe Lucifer and his followers will repent of their folly and return. Alas…I can only imagine.”


[to be continued]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Earth Churns...33.The Throne Room

As Earth Churns…30. The Planning Room

In the beginning...2a. Throne Room