As Earth Churns…29a. The Throne Room


The scene around the throne was similar to what it had been for the previous meeting. Again the new arrivals took their places in the circle of chairs and all eyes turned to the Father. He began quickly, “Well, you have been gone just over three weeks. First, I appreciate each of you and the roles you played in this discovery mission. Zerub, you did a great job of bringing Rafael’s reports back here. Rafael, your articles were succinct and informative as usual. We appreciate your efforts. Michael, you and your warriors must’ve done your job well; I understand there was not even a shadow or hint of the presence Satan and his marauders in your vicinity during the entire trek?”

            Michael replied a little disappointingly, “Didn’t see hide nor hair of any of that bunch.”

            “Good,” the Father stated. “And Enoch, how did you enjoy your homecoming.”

            Enoch answered, “Thanks for allowing me to spend a little time with my son Methuselah and my grandson Lamech. Though I really couldn’t explain where I’d been. They wouldn’t have believed me anyway.”

            Jesus queried, “So what did you tell them?”

            Rafael took up the tale, “It was ingenious. Enoch told them he was sent on a special mission by God; and he wasn’t at liberty to divulge any details.”

            Allen exclaimed, “Pretty fantastic if you ask me.”

            Rafael continued, “Certainly was. But they bought it…hook, line, and sinker.”

            Enoch stated, “I surely was relieved that I didn’t have to explain any further. Not sure what I would’ve said. The thing that bothered me most was my meeting with my oldest son Methuselah. His whole attitude is godless. Lamech seems to have turned out all right, but Methuselah had totally ceased walking in your footsteps, Father. It was very distressing.”

            “Sorry you had to have that experience,” God concluded. “So let’s get to the bottom line. Enoch, what is your opinion from the human standpoint of the level of deprivation on earth?”

            “I’d have to say it’s pretty bad,” Enoch replied. “Everywhere we looked there was evil. This included the more socially accepted sins of gossip, lying, slander, and just hating one another. We also witnessed rape, murder, thievery, and all manner of what even mankind considers more serious sins and crimes. For the most part it appeared that every inclination and the thoughts of man’s heart was only evil all the time.”

            “That’s what I was afraid of,” Jesus said. “Father, what’s next?”

            After thinking for several moments while the others fidgeted, God stated almost in a whisper, “It perplexes me deeply to say this, but I will wipe mankind from the face of the earth – men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air – for I am grieved that I have made them.”

            An audible sign permeated the Throne Room. Michael voiced the hopes of all, “Is there no other way except total annihilation?”

            Jesus answered, “There is one possible hope for the future. May I, Father?”

            “Yes, Son, go ahead and tell them,” God said quietly.

            Jesus leaned forward, “Using some omniscience I have been able to glean that there will soon be a son born to Lamech.”

            Enoch gasped, “My, uh, great-grandson?”

            Jesus nodded, “That’s right, Enoch. Your grandson Lamech will bear a son in the near future. Given that all mankind was given and still retains freedom of choice, my Father and I have chosen not to know for certain the disposition of that man to walk with God or not. But there is hope. Father?”

            “There is hope,” God concluded. “We shall just wait and see. I can tell you that Lamech’s first born will be named Noah, because he will comfort his family in the labor and painful toil of their hands caused by the ground that was cursed by me after the sin of Adam and Eve.”



[to be continued]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Earth Churns...33.The Throne Room

As Earth Churns…30. The Planning Room

As Earth Churns…27a. The Throne Room